Political processes and practices actively build barriers and keep historically marginalized people from engaging in the political process. This Giving Project will focus on supporting community organizing that is working toward eliminating those roadblocks and helping to realize the promises of democracy through, but not limited to, voting rights, voter registration and mobilization, training grassroots candidates for political office, increasing representation of diverse communities, or working towards a fair and accurate census count.
Intro Session: April 14
- Get to know one another
- Establish commitments, expectations, and goals
Screening: June 9
- Democratic grantmaking process to decide which applicants will get site visits
Community Building: June 26
Final Decisions: Aug. 18
- Democratic grantmaking process to review site visit reports, discuss finalists, and choose grantees
Wrap Party: Aug. 28
- Celebrate our success and evaluate the process
Giving project structure
- All Giving Projects have the same basic structure:
- A cross-class, multiracial group of 15-25 volunteers commits to the entire process.
- Each person makes a meaningful gift — whatever that means for you.
- Through workshops and trainings we develop a shared analysis of race, class, and the issue focus of this Giving Project.
- We train you in grassroots fundraising and provide lots of hands-on support as you raise money from your friends and family.
- We train you in our grantmaking process and support you as you read and score proposals, participate in site visits, make collective deicisions, and move money to some of the most inspiring, effective social change work in the region.