Social Justice Fund NW’s grantmaking region is made up primarily of small towns, reservations, and rural communities, but much of the resources go to the major urban centers of Seattle and Portland. This Giving Project will focus on supporting community organizing that is building power in the rest of our region, outside of Seattle and Portland. This Giving Project will support any work being done in ANY cities outside of Seattle and Portland, with priority given to organizations in rural, small town, and reservation communities.
Rural & Small Town Organizing Giving Project Schedule
Intro Session: March 9
- Get to know one another
- Establish commitments, expectations, and goals
- Set foundation for further trainings
Race & Class: March 23-24
- Build shared analysis of race and class in the context of social justice organizing
- Begin work to build a cross-class, multi-racial, progressive philanthropic community
**Participants begin meaningful gift
Fundraising/Grantmaking pt 1: April 6
- Learn the nuts and bolts of grassroots fundraising
- Practice with the group
- Set personal fundraising goals and accountability structures
** Participants begin fundraising & reading proposals
Fundraising/Grantmaking pt 2: April 16
- Reflect on first fundraising ask
- Time for practice
Issue Area Webinar: April 25
- Learn about rural organizing from experts in the field
Screening: May 4
- Democratic grantmaking process to decide which applicants will get site visits
**Site visits as scheduled (participants commit to at least one)
Grantee Summit: May 11
- Learn directly from SJF grantees about their organizing strategies, victories, and challenges
Final Decisions: August 24
- Democratic grantmaking process to review site visit reports, discuss finalists, and choose grantees
Wrap Party: September 4
- Celebrate our success and evaluate the process
Giving project structure
- All Giving Projects have the same basic structure:
- A cross-class, multiracial group of 15-25 volunteers commits to the entire process.
- Each person makes a meaningful gift — whatever that means for you.
- Through workshops and trainings we develop a shared analysis of race, class, and the issue focus of this Giving Project.
- We train you in grassroots fundraising and provide lots of hands-on support as you raise money from your friends and family.
- We train you in our grantmaking process and support you as you read and score proposals, participate in site visits, make collective deicisions, and move money to some of the most inspiring, effective social change work in the region.