Apply For a Grant
Rapid Response and Seed Grants
Giving Project Grants
The following information pertains to Giving Project Grants only.
Basic Eligibility Requirements:
To be eligible for any Social Justice Fund grant program, an organization must:
- Be an organized group of people (we do not fund individuals).
- If your organization is a nonprofit with 501(c)3 or 501(c)4 status as determined by the IRS, or be a federally recognized American Indian tribal government or agency OR is fiscally sponsored by 501(c)3 or 501(c)4 organizations or by federally recognized tribal governments, you can apply.
- If your organization is not incorporated or fiscally sponsored, you can probably still apply, but you must speak with SJF program staff first.
- Be led by people who are most directly affected by the problems that the organization or project is addressing.
- Use a community organizing approach, as defined in our Grant Guidelines.
- Carry out most of its work in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and/or Wyoming.
- Satisfy evaluation requirements for all previous Social Justice Fund grants.
If you have not received a Social Justice Fund grant before, please fill out this brief pre-application questionnaire before you begin your application.
How to Apply for a Grant:
- Read the Social Justice Fund Grant Guidelines and Grant Instructions. This provides information about our grantmaking process, criterias, and timelines, and includes some new policies and changes.
- Optional: Read the SJF Granting Criteria (used by our volunteer grantmakers to help guide their screening process). Read through those materials carefully and then if you have any questions about these grant criteria, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Log in to our Online Grant Portal. (If you have never used it before, you will need to register your organization first. Note: You can only register one email per organization. To change the e-mail address associated with your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Select the appropriate grant cycle and begin your application. You can apply for multiple grants per year, as long as you meet the eligibility criteria for each grant.
- If you have applied through this online portal before, you will be able to log into your previous application and make changes to it for a new grant cycle, or you can click “copy/rollover an application” to revise a previous draft.
- Late applications will not be accepted. Applications may be submitted online (preferred) or by email, postal mail, or hand delivery.
- Please note – grant awards are around $10,000/year (exact amounts vary depending on the total raised by the Giving Project that is funding the grant cycle). We no longer have an annual funding cap. For questions about this, please contact Yasmeen Perez, SJF Program Director.
- If you have trouble with the online portal, contact email@example.com. If you have any questions about the grant application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 624-4081.