WHO IS THE 2019 CRIMINAL JUSTICE GIVING PROJECT?
The 2019 Criminal Justice Giving Project is made up of a small but determined group of people living in Seattle and surrounding areas. We are a mix of artists, activists, tech workers and social justice advocates. We signed up for this six-month Giving Project to work together to move money to groups that are working to build collective power to bring justice to the criminal legal system in our region.
Our group is committed to respecting and honoring the power of people in the Northwest region who are working to build collective wins for marginalized communities that are most directly impacted by inflexible and unjust practices in our justice systems. Our goals are to:
- Raise $175,000 to fund grassroots organizations led by communities impacted by injustice in the criminal legal system
- Develop a collective understanding of how racism and classism impact us and the organizing work we will fund
- Redistribute resources to frontline communities by making a meaningful, personal donation to the Criminal Justice Giving Project, and through fundraising people in our own communities
- Build a network of social justice-oriented community members who are dedicated to justice.
We recognize that we must work together, as a collective, to truly accomplish our goals. Please join us!
WHY CRIMINAL JUSTICE ORGANIZING?
Social Justice Fund NW’s grantmaking region–Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming–is made up primarily of small towns, reservations, and rural communities, but much of the resources go to the major urban centers of Seattle and Portland. This grant will focus on supporting community organizing that is building power to shift the imbalance of criminal justice practices in our region. This grant is for groups working on criminal justice issues with priority given to organizations that are led by Black, Indigenous and POC, and in rural, small town, and reservation communities.
These are two-year, general operating grants of approximately $30,000 total.
To find out more about the types of work our grants will support, please see this list of previous Social Justice Fund grantees organizing around criminal justice issues
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT US?
We are so glad you asked! You can do any of the following to support us:
- Donate to our giving project to fund crucial organizing in rural & small town communities in our region.
- Donate here and put “CRIMINAL JUSTICE GIVING PROJECT” in the Giving Project Designation field.
- If you were asked by a Giving Project member, make sure you include their name in the Comments field!
- If you want to know more about this work, contact a Giving Project participant! Or you can contact SJF Project Manager Bana Abera to be connected with a Giving Project participant. Bana@socialjusticefund.org
- Ask others to donate to our giving project.
Contributions to this Giving Project are tax deductible. We accept donations by credit/debit card, electronic funds transfer, cash, check, stock, donor advised funds, and planned giving. Please go here for more information on how to give.